www.aimovers.org.uk - Association Of Independent Movers
Posted 06/07/2022 in Removals Advice

Moving to Austria

Moving to Austria

UK Pensions and Tax

Before moving to Austria from the UK, you must notify the UK government offices that deal with benefits, pensions and tax.

Healthcare in Austria

If you’re employed or self-employed in Austria, it’s compulsory to have health insurance. If you’re not working, you should take out voluntary insurance.

You must show proof of healthcare cover before you can register as a resident or when you apply for a visa.

For details about the healthcare cover required for residency applications, contact local authorities in Austria or the appropriate Austrian embassy or consulate in the UK.

Customs Documents

To move your household goods and personal effects, you will need the following documents.


  • T1 transit form
  • Export Accompanying Document (EAD)
  • Entry Summary Declaration (ENS) in the Import Control System (ICS) to the port of entry.


  • Copy of valid Passport
  • Copy of Residence Registration at the local municipality in Austria
  • Original Power of Attorney to the moving company to allow them to represent you at the customs office in Austria
  • Detailed inventory of goods
  • Evidence that you have lived outside the EU for at least 12 months (utility bills, employment contract, etc)
  • Original Austrian Customs forms, ZBefr Form 2 or 2a
  • Invoices for any new items of furniture, appliances, etc.

Moving to Austria with Pets

Documents Required

  • Original international vaccination book
  • Veterinary health certificate
  • Pet microchip number (if applicable)

Prohibited Goods

  • Firearms, weapons, ammunition or explosives
  • Pornographic material
  • Non-prescription drugs
  • Radio transmitters
  • Animal skins, ivory and similar products from protected species
  • Food items and milk products
  • Animals, birds or fish (alive or dead)
  • Counterfeit goods

Tobacco, cigarettes or perfumes for personal use require an import certificate.

To import live plants, you will need a Phytosanitary Certificate issued by the APHA PHSI office.

Professional qualifications in Austria

You may need to get your professional qualification recognised if you want to work in a profession that is regulated in Austria.

If you are offering a professional service in Austria check your qualification or professional status is currently recognised. It may not be if you are not currently an active, fee-paying member of the relevant business chamber.

ENIC NARIC is the information centre for the academic and professional recognition of qualifications.

Driving in Austria

If you intend to drive in Austria you must exchange your UK licence for an Austrian licence within 6 months of becoming resident in Austria. You can exchange your valid UK licence without taking a test.

After 6 months you can no longer use your UK licence to drive in Austria, but can still exchange it for an Austrian one, for as long as it is valid.

Third-party car insurance (Haftpflichtversicherung) is compulsory in Austria.

If you lose your licence you need a ‘certificate of entitlement’ to apply for an Austrian licence.

A ‘certificate of entitlement’ sets out the categories of vehicles you are entitled to drive. You should obtain this from the authority which issued your licence. You need to have the certificate translated into German.

Importing your car to Austria

If you bring your personal vehicle with you from the UK when moving to Austria, you have to apply for an exemption (Abgabenbefreieung) to not pay any import duty. The vehicle must be cleared separate from the household goods and personal effects.

If you import a vehicle from the UK after moving to Austria, you will have to pay import duties based on the value of your car, and potentially tariffs, depending on the origin of the vehicle.

If your primary residence is in Austria, you may use your vehicle with foreign number plates for 1 month in Austria. You must then:

  • register your vehicle
  • pay a one-off fuel consumption tax (NoVA - Normverbrauchsabgabe) at your local tax office
  • exchange your UK number plates for Austrian plates at your nearest vehicle registration office (Kfz-Zulassungsstelle)

 You need proof of insurance before you can get your number plates (Autokennzeichen) and car registration document (Zulassungsschein). Your insurer can advise you how to get these.



This guide is an overview only and readers should seek further advice from the official bodies in the country to which they are moving.

Related Posts

Moving to Finland
Moving to Finland
Comparing Quotes for Removals
Comparing Quotes for Removals
How Long Does a House Move Take?
How Long Does a House Move Take?
Preparing to Move Home
Preparing to Move Home
Movers Extra Services