www.aimovers.org.uk - Association Of Independent Movers

Moving to Denmark

Moving to Denmark

UK Pensions and Tax

Before moving to Denmark from the UK, you must notify the UK government offices that deal with benefits, pensions and tax.

Healthcare in Denmark

Most state healthcare is free in Denmark if you’re a resident and have a state health insurance card (‘yellow health card’).

UK nationals usually access the Danish healthcare system in one of these ways:

  • registering as a resident and getting a yellow health card
  • using a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) for temporary stays when studying, or as a ‘posted’ (detached) worker
  • registering a UK-issued S1 form with the Danish state healthcare system and getting a yellow health card

You must show proof of healthcare cover:

  • before you can register as a resident
  • when you apply for a visa

For details about the healthcare cover required for residency applications, contact local authorities in Denmark or the appropriate Denmark embassy or consulate in the UK.

Everyone who’s a resident can also register for Danish state healthcare.

Customs Documents

To move your household goods and personal effects, you will need the following documents.


  • T1 transit form
  • Export Accompanying Document (EAD)
  • Entry Summary Declaration (ENS) in the Import Control System (ICS) to the port of entry.


  • Copy of valid Passport
  • Danish Customs Form 12024
  • T1 Document
  • Inventory list
  • Registration date at local municipality

Moving to Denmark with Pets

Documents Required

  • Original international vaccination book
  • Veterinary health certificate
  • Pet microchip number (if applicable)

Prohibited Goods

  • Firearms, weapons, ammunition or explosives
  • Pornographic material
  • Non-prescription drugs
  • Radio transmitters
  • Animal skins, ivory and similar products from protected species
  • Food items and milk products
  • Animals, birds or fish (alive or dead)
  • Counterfeit goods

Tobacco, cigarettes and alcohol are subject to duties and taxes.

To import live plants, you will need a Phytosanitary Certificate issued by the APHA PHSI office.

Professional qualifications in Denmark

You may need to get your professional qualification recognised if you want to work in a profession that is regulated in Denmark.

If you are offering a professional service in Denmark check your qualification or professional status is currently recognised. It may not be if you are not currently an active, fee-paying member of the relevant business chamber.

If you need to take action to secure the recognition of your professional qualification in Denmark, these sources can help you:

Driving in Denmark

If you are resident in Denmark, you must exchange your licence for a Danish one.

If your UK licence was issued before 1 January 2021, you can exchange your licence without having to take a test. You need to do this within 180 days of taking up residency in Denmark.

If your UK or Gibraltar licence was issued on or after 1 January 2021, you can only exchange a Category B licence without having to take a test. You must do this within 180 days of taking up residency in Denmark.

Importing your Car to Denmark

Documents Required

  • Original registration
  • Insurance card
  • Original bill of lading

The car must be re-registered within 14 days of arrival if the owner takes up residence in Denmark.

Danish registration taxes must be paid and the vehicle must be registered with Danish License Plates.


This guide is an overview only and readers should seek further advice from the official bodies in the country to which they are moving.

Related Posts

Moving to Finland
Moving to Finland
Comparing Quotes for Removals
Comparing Quotes for Removals
How Long Does a House Move Take?
How Long Does a House Move Take?
Preparing to Move Home
Preparing to Move Home
Movers Extra Services