www.aimovers.org.uk - Association Of Independent Movers
Posted 12/08/2022 in Removals Advice

Moving to the Czech Republic

Moving to the Czech Republic

You need to file an application for a long-term residence permit at the MOI offices if you have been residing in the Czech Republic on a visa for a stay of over 90 days and you intend to temporarily live in the Czech Republic for more than 1 year including the previous visa. You can apply for permanent residency after living there for 5 years.

UK Pensions and Tax

Before moving to the Czech Republic from the UK, you must notify the UK government offices that deal with benefits, pensions and tax.

Healthcare in the Czech Republic

You must have health insurance cover to live in the Czech Republic. Most healthcare is free if you’re insured, but you may still have to pay to use some parts of the healthcare system.

UK nationals usually access the Czech healthcare system in one of these ways:

  • joining the state health insurance scheme
  • private health insurance
  • registering a UK-issued S1 form with one of the insurance companies offering the state healthcare scheme 

You must show proof of required healthcare cover before you can register as a resident and/or when you apply for a visa.

For details about the healthcare cover required for residency applications, contact local authorities in the Czech Republic or the appropriate Czech Republic embassy or consulate in the UK.

You can join the state health insurance scheme if you’re either:

  • employed by a Czech employer
  • self-employed
  • a permanent resident in the Czech Republic 
  • a dependant of the above

If you are none of the above, you need to have private health insurance that will cover you for 60,000 euros of healthcare expenses.

Customs Documents

To move your household goods and personal effects, you will need the following documents.


  • T1 transit form
  • Export Accompanying Document (EAD)
  • Entry Summary Declaration (ENS) in the Import Control System (ICS) to the port of entry.


  • Copy of Passport
  • Copy of Visa
  • Work permit
  • Proof of residence in EU (EU residence permit, Czech ID card) for returning EU citizens
  • Rental or ownership contract for residence in the Czech Republic
  • Proof of residence abroad (at least 12 months)
  • T1 document
  • Pro forma invoice
  • Inventory of goods
  • Power of Attorney (Document required in original format)


Documents Required

  • Original international vaccination book
  • Veterinary health certificate
  • Pet microchip number


Prohibited/Restricted Goods

  • Firearms, weapons, ammunition or explosives
  • Pornographic material
  • Unlicensed drugs
  • Animal skins, ivory and similar products from protected species
  • Meat and dairy products
  • Animals, birds or fish (alive or dead)
  • Counterfeit goods
  • Plants
  • Alcohol, tobacco, cigarettes or cigars are subject to duty or tax payments.


Professional Qualifications in the Czech Republic

You may need to get your professional qualification recognised if you want to work in a profession that is regulated in the Czech Republic.

If you have not had your qualification recognised, contact the UK Centre of Professional Qualifications (UK CPQ).


Driving in the Czech Republic

You cannot renew or replace your UK licence if you live in the Czech Republic and you must exchange your licence for a Czech one within 3 months of being granted residency. You do not need to take a driving test to exchange your licence.

Importing your Car to the Czech Republic

If you plan to stay in Czech Republic for more than one year you have to register your car. 

Your car must undergo a technical check-up by the Czech Technical Inspection (STK) which it has to pass.

After the technical check-up, you will be issued a certificate which is valid for 3 months so that you can go and register. To register, you also have to provide the technical specification and operating manual of your vehicle. According to the Czech laws, you can only register cars that are less than 5 or 8 years old, depending on the type of the car. 

There is an import tax but you do not have to pay the import tax if you have owned your car for at least one year abroad and have used it for a minimum of half a year before importing. 

Documents Required

  • Passport
  • Vehicle title
  • Original OBL / AWB
  • Purchase invoice
  • Vehicle operations manual


This guide is an overview only and readers should seek further advice from the official bodies in the country to which they are moving.

Related Posts

AIM Member Leads in Cyclist Safety
AIM Member Leads in Cyclist Safety
Comparing Quotes for Removals
Comparing Quotes for Removals
How Long Does a House Move Take?
How Long Does a House Move Take?
Preparing to Move Home
Preparing to Move Home
Movers Extra Services