www.aimovers.org.uk - Association Of Independent Movers
Posted 08/09/2022 in Removals Advice

Moving to Estonia

Moving to Estonia

To relocate to Estonia, you will need a residence permit. A temporary residence permit can be granted for up to 5 years. A residence permit for settling permanently in Estonia may be granted after this period. In some cases, such as if you have a doctorate degree, you may be able to apply for a permanent residence permit earlier than the 5 years.

UK Pensions and Tax

Before moving to Estonia from the UK, you must notify the UK government offices that deal with benefits, pensions and tax.

Healthcare in Estonia

You must show proof of healthcare cover before you can register as a resident or when you apply for a visa.

For details about the healthcare cover required for residency applications, contact local authorities in Estonia or the appropriate Estonian embassy or consulate in the UK.

You will need to pay social security tax to be covered by the Estonian Health Insurance Fund (EHIF).

Working in Estonia

If you are moving to Estonia for work, you may need a visa.

A temporary residence permit for employment may be granted dependant on salary and the type of work.

To apply for a job in Estonia, you may need a UK criminal records certificate and an Estonian criminal records certificate.

Professional qualifications in Estonia

You may need to get your professional qualification recognised if you want to work in a profession that is regulated in Estonia.

For more information, see the UK Centre of Professional Qualifications (UK CPQ) and Estonian NARIC.


Customs Documents

To move your household goods and personal effects, you will need the following documents.


  • T1 transit form
  • Export Accompanying Document (EAD)
  • Entry Summary Declaration (ENS) in the Import Control System (ICS) to the port of entry.


  • Passport (copy of photo page)
  • Copy of residence permit (ID Card)
  • Copy of work contract in Estonia
  • T1 document
  • Inventory of goods
  • Lease or accommodation contract

Moving with Pets to Estonia

Documents Required

  • Original international vaccination book
  • Veterinary health certificate
  • Pet microchip number (if applicable)


Prohibited/Restricted Goods

  • Firearms, weapons, ammunition or explosives
  • Pornographic material
  • Non-prescription drugs
  • Radio transmitters
  • Animal skins, ivory and similar products from protected species
  • Food items and milk products
  • Animals, birds or fish (alive or dead)
  • Counterfeit goods


Driving in Estonia

You cannot renew or replace your UK licence if you live in Estonia. Most drivers can exchange their licence without having to take a test.

Importing your Car to Estonia

You must obtain a Customs declaration and a Customs certificate in order to register the vehicle with the Estonian Motor Vehicle Registration Centre (ARK). This requires a pre-registration inspection.

Your vehicle must be registered within 5 days of Customs clearance.

Documents Required

  • Copy of passport
  • Original registration card / title
  • Customs declaration form
  • Car invoice
  • Letter of employment


This guide is an overview only and readers should seek further advice from the official bodies in the country to which they are moving.