www.aimovers.org.uk - Association Of Independent Movers

Moving to Finland

Moving to Finland

To move to Finland you will need to meet the Finnish government’s entry requirements. Check with the Finnish Embassy what type of visa and/or work permit you may need.

UK Pensions and Tax 

Before moving to Finland from the UK, you must notify the UK government offices that deal with benefits, pensions and tax.

Healthcare in Finland

If you’re registered as a resident in Finland you can access state healthcare. You have to pay for state healthcare.

UK nationals usually access the Finnish healthcare system in one of these ways:

  • registering as a resident and getting a ‘Kela’ card
  • using a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) for temporary stays when studying, or as a ‘posted’ (detached) worker
  • registering a UK-issued S1 form with the Finnish state healthcare system

If you moving to Finland you must show proof of healthcare cover before you can register as a resident. 

For details about the healthcare cover required for residency applications, contact local authorities in Finland or the appropriate Finnish embassy or consulate in the UK.

Customs Documents

To move your household goods and personal effects, you will need the following documents.


  • T1 transit form
  • Export Accompanying Document (EAD)
  • Entry Summary Declaration (ENS) in the Import Control System (ICS) to the port of entry.


  • Copy of valid Passport
  • Finnish Customs Form 45
  • Proof of residency in Finland
  • Detailed inventory of goods



Documents Required

  • Original international vaccination book
  • Veterinary health certificate
  • Pet microchip number if applicable

Prohibited/Restricted Goods

  • Firearms, weapons, ammunition or explosives
  • Pornographic material
  • Non-prescription drugs
  • Radio transmitters
  • Animal skins, ivory and similar products from protected species
  • Animals, birds or fish (alive or dead)
  • Counterfeit goods

Alcohol, tobacco, cigarettes or cigars are subject to duty or tax payments.

Professional qualifications in Finland

You may need to get your professional qualification recognised if you want to work in a profession that is regulated in Finland. The UK Centre for Professional Qualifications can advise.

Driving in Finland

You cannot renew or replace your UK licence if you live in Finland.

You must exchange your licence for a Finnish one within 2 years of moving there. You can exchange your licence without having to take a test for licence categories A1, A2, A or B. If your licence has expired, or you have been living in Finland for more than 2 years, you will need to take a test.

Importing your Car to Finland

The car must be declared immediately the first time you bring it in to Finland as removal goods. You may need to pay customs duty and value added tax.

You must submit a declaration of use on your car before you start using it in Finland. If the vehicle does not have a valid registration or a transfer permit, the only legal way to transfer the vehicle is by trailer. You are not allowed to even tow the vehicle.


This guide is an overview only and readers should seek further advice from the official bodies in the country to which they are moving.


Related Posts

AIM Member Leads in Cyclist Safety
AIM Member Leads in Cyclist Safety
Comparing Quotes for Removals
Comparing Quotes for Removals
How Long Does a House Move Take?
How Long Does a House Move Take?
Preparing to Move Home
Preparing to Move Home
Movers Extra Services