www.aimovers.org.uk - Association Of Independent Movers

Moving to Italy

Moving to Italy

UK Pensions and Tax

Before moving to Italy from the UK, you must notify the UK government offices that deal with benefits, pensions and tax.


To register as a resident you will need to provide proof of healthcare cover.

If you’re employed or self-employed you can register with the national health system for free (iscrizione obbligatoria).

If you are not working or paying social security contributions, you may be able to register with the national health system voluntarily by paying a fee each year (iscrizione volontaria).

If you do not register with the Italian healthcare system, you will need private health insurance.

Customs Documents

To move your household goods and personal effects, you will need the following documents.


  • T1 transit form
  • Export Accompanying Document (EAD)
  • Entry Summary Declaration (ENS) in the Import Control System (ICS) to the port of entry.


  • Copy of valid Passport
  • Copy of tax code number / Codice Fiscale from the Agenzia delle Entrate
  • Copy of Permit to Stay from the Questura Police
  • Copy of Residence Certificate (from the Italian City Hall)
  • Copy of Dichiarazione di Libera Importazione form signed by customer
  • Signed Italian Customs Form
  • Inventory signed by owner of the goods, stamped and signed by Italian Consulate or Embassy 

Though not mandatory, you may also be asked for;

  • Copy of employment contract in Italy
  • Copy of rent or house purchase contract in Italy


Documents Required

  • Rabies vaccination certificate
  • Original international vaccination book
  • Veterinary health certificate
  • Pet passport including microchip number

Prohibited and Restricted Goods

  • Tobacco, cigarettes or cigars
  • Firearms, weapons, ammunition or explosives
  • Pornographic material
  • Non-prescription drugs
  • Radio transmitters
  • Animal skins, ivory and similar products from protected species
  • Food items
  • Animals, birds or fish (alive or dead)
  • Counterfeit goods

To import live plants, you will need a Phytosanitary Certificate issued by the APHA PHSI office. 

Hosting guests in Italy

If you host a UK national (or any non-EU national) as a guest, you must inform your local immigration office (questura). You must do this in writing within 48 hours after they arrive at your property. 

You could be fined if you do not comply with this Italian immigration law.

If you host a national of an EU country, you must inform the questura if they plan to stay with you for 30 days or more.

Driving in Italy

If you became resident in Italy on or after 1 January 2022, you can use your valid UK licence for 1 year from the date you became a resident. 

You cannot renew or replace your UK driving licence if you live in Italy. You must exchange your licence for an Italian one and you will need to take a driving test. You cannot use an International Driving Permit (IDP) instead of exchanging your licence.

Importing your Car

The car must be registered in Italy with the Motorizzazione Civile office and the Public Vehicle Registry, with Italian licence plates within two months of obtaining your residency in Italy. Once the process is started, the car will not be usable until registration is completed. You will need your residence permit and your tax code.

The owner must prove that the vehicle is road-worthy by providing a technical inspection certificate, signed and stamped by the manufacturer or an accredited distributor. This should be translated into Italian. Once approved the authorities will issue a certificate of conformity.

Required Documents

  • Ownership certificate
  • Certificate of cancellation of registration in the country of origin
  • Application for registration (form TT2119)
  • Personal ID
  • Proof of residency
  • NP2D form for registration with the PRA



This guide is an overview only and readers should seek further advice from the official bodies in the country to which they are moving.

Related Posts

Moving to South Wales
Moving to South Wales
Tips On Selecting A Trusted Removal Company
Tips On Selecting A Trusted Removal Company
Should I Buy Removals Insurance?
How To Compare Removal Quotes in Birmingham with AIM
How To Compare Removal Quotes in Birmingham with AIM
Moving to South West England
Moving to South West England